- In 1854, Louis Vuitton was founded in Paris. Thanks in large part to its popular LV monogram, it eventually became the world’s most valuable luxury brand, with more than 460 stores worldwide and some $9.4 billion in revenue as of 2013. But just one year before Vuitton was established, another French luxury brand quietly came to life. Since Goyard’s inception some 165 years ago, the trunk (and bag-maker) has maintained a mysterious and impressive reputation based on quality and prestige. With zero advertising, no e-commerce, and only a few retail shops worldwide), they’ve managed to protect their legacy while also building a buzz, simultaneously keeping their mouths shut—and everyone else out.
- 1. You are buying into an artisanal craftsmanship bag
- Goyard is solely focused artisanal craftsmanship in one product category, which explains why there’s such a limited supply of merchandise. The Goyard brand is about legacy, heritage, and functionality. It’s an insider’s bag, but it doesn’t scream luxury.
- And being limited means there is always a demand for them, even in the resale market where you have it is commonly traded above retail value.
- 2. Timeless brand that is not trend-focused
- Goyard’s confidentiality and exclusivity is definitely a contributing factor to a man or woman’s desire to purchase, especially when they do have a vast amount of options when purchasing accessories. Customers gravitate to a timeless brand that is not trend-focused. When you carry a Goyard, you are in the exclusive club of the few people in the “know”
- 3. Exclusive yet affordable
- Goyard holds its traditional craft-oriented roots that truly has a limited supply because that’s what their commitment is about. This exclusivity surprisingly doesn’t come at an insane cost either. A classic Goyard tote will cost you around SGD1.5K, while the similarly-sized Louis Vuitton will cost more than SGD2K in Singapore
- 4. It is practical
- Carrying those leather bag that feels like a workout everytime you take them out? Goyard is all about functionality – A Goyard bag is easy, light, spacious and well-made. The material cannot be damaged easily, so chances are that it should be easy for you to look at your bag several years from the point you bought it and recognise that it’s the same bag. The bags are also waterproof, so you don’t have to check the weather first to make sure whether or not to take them outside with you.